Voki

Monday, November 16, 2015

My Most Embarrassing Experience


              One of my most embarrassing experiences was during my first year teaching. I was very nervous because it was the beginning of my career and I wanted to make sure I was doing everything that I was supposed to do. The first three days of school were half days. The students were dismissed early on those days. The first two days of school went smoothly. I had made it through my first two days without a hitch! However, the third day came along, which led to one of my most embarrassing experiences.
            We had to be in the gymnasium at 11:00 for dismissal. I didn't want to be late so I made sure all the students were packed up and ready to go.  I thought to myself "wow, we made it through another day of school!" I walked my class of 23 kindergartners down the gym. However, when I got there I saw my principal at the door and a bunch of students sitting on the gym floor. I was very confused because I didn't think I was late. My principal asked me what I was doing and I told her that we were coming down for dismissal. It was then that she told me, I in fact wasn't late, I was actually an hour early! There was a band demonstration going on for the older kids in the school. I was so embarrassed because I had all my students packed up, lined up and ready to go. My principal was a great sport about it and told me not to worry! Instead, we went back to the classroom, dropped off the backpacks and took a tour around the school. Overall, it wasn't such a big deal, but I definitely will never forget that day.


Vocabulary:
embarrassing (verb)--> to have shame
nervous (adjective)--> uneasy or apprehensive
career (noun)--> a job, occupation or profession
dismissed (verb) --> to let go
hitch (noun)--> an unexpected difficulty or obstacle
bunch (noun)--> a group
demonstration (noun)--> using examples to explain something
great sport (noun)--> being fun 

Vocabulary Exercise:  Find and circle the vocabulary words inside the word search.

Vocabulary Word Search



FTLNEDWGSUTXRLE
HITCHZEIBYFEGMZ
XUDLSYRSXUEABII
STEVUWIPSRNAMTK
JGMJOXDOAIRCXHF
BNOGVHCCQRMLHFY
RSNKRQZEAGUSVZA
YXSDERASYMKWIQC
UITSNVSZLHHIYDS
OYRUGIZYHHIPHUZ
WMATNQBGKBCPAGP
JOTGTROPSTAERGO
HOICQDGYUXIOOWW
DPOXMBPQCZWFVUO
PFNFYESDAMJVGDT

BUNCHCAREERDEMONSTRATION
DISMISSEDEMBARRASSINGGREAT SPORT
HITCHNERVOUS

Grammar Point: 
Using punctuation is necessary when writing or speaking. In order to help read, write and speak fluently different forms of punctuation must be used. Three common types of punctuation are the period for a statement or command sentence, the question mark for an asking sentence, and the exclamation point for an exclamatory or excited sentence. In my paragraph above, I used different types of punctuation to show how I was feeling at the moment. Highlight the punctuation I used in my paragraph above. Then, write 5 sentences using different types of punctuation for each. Remember the rules for using each type of punctuation!

1 comment:

  1. At least it was the third day of school and not the first day!

    I think the word search is a great idea for students to learn to recognize the vocabulary words!

    ReplyDelete