Voki

Monday, September 21, 2015

Apple Picking


This past weekend, I went apple picking with my husband. September is such an exciting time of year! I am back to school, the weather is getting cooler and the season will change to Autumn. One of my favorite things to do in September is to go to the apple orchards and pick apples fresh off the trees. This year was the best by far. We went early enough in the season, so there were still so many apples on the trees. Last year, we went later in September and it was difficult to find apples that were still on the trees. This year, it was a warm Saturday for September and the sun was shining! We went down the first row and we were able to get about 10-11 apples. We continued to walk through the many rows that contained various types of apples. We brought home about 50 apples in total that ranged in color. Some apples were all red, some were all yellow and then we had mixed apples that were red and green. I had so much fun picking the apples! When I got home, I made applesauce and apple crisp. They were both delicious! I can't wait to do it again next year.

Vocabulary:

Autumn (noun)--> season, fall (September-December)
orchards (noun)--> a group of trees
fresh (adjective)--> newly made
the best by far (prepositional phrase) --> the very best
difficult (adjective)--> hard
contained (verb)--> included
various (adjective)--> different kinds
delicious (adjective) --> tastes good

Vocabulary Exercise:

Fill in the blank with the correct vocabulary word.

1. Yum! That dessert tasted ____________.

2. When I went to the bakery, they had a __________ loaf of bread that was still warm.

3. If you go apple picking, you will see many apple _______________.

4. _____________ is a season that begins in September and ends in December.

5. My favorite football team has been winning so many games, this year is ________________.

6. Sometimes it can be ______________ to learn a new language.

7. My notebook for class ___________ many important notes.

8. At the grocery store, there are ________________ fruits and vegetables to choose from.

Grammar Point:

Exclamation Point: a form of punctuation used at the end of a sentence to show intense emotion.
                         Examples: I am so excited to go to the movies later!
                                         Wow! I can't believe I won the grand prize!
                                          Ow! I am in so much pain!

Please make up 5 sentences that need an exclamation point at the end.



1 comment:

  1. Apple picking is a great idea for a fun day, an it has the added bonus of delicious apples for desserts. You included good vocabulary and grammar points.

    Could you add some photos to enhance the presentation of your topic?

    ReplyDelete